The capital city of Grenada is St. George’s. The location of the town is on a horseshoe-shaped harbor. A hillside of an old volcano crater also surrounds the city. The French founded St George’s town in 1650. St. George’s city was formerly known as “Ville de Fort Royal”. It was built on the eastern edge of the harbor and was initially occupied by the French. When Grenada was ceded by Great Britain in 1763 by the Treaty of Paris, the new administration changed the name of the town from Fort Royal to St. George’s. The city was named after King George III of England.
The population of St. George’s is around 4,500. Although St. George’s is a city, the natural landscape surrounding its urban area is very much intact. Many spices are grown in and around the city. These crops include nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, and sugar cane. The people of Grenada happen to be farmers who live in the metropolitan farmland areas.
The city of St. George’s is home to many institutions, including St. George’s University School of Medicine. St George’s is also home to a number of tourist attractions. These include waterfalls such as St. Margaret’s Falls and St. George’s Roman Catholic cathedral, which was built in 1818. Fort George and the Grenada National Museum draw many tourists every year resulting in the growth of the nation’s economy.
St. George’s city enjoys a tropical humid savanna climate. The city has two seasons within a year – the dry season and the rainy season. The dry season runs from January to May and the rainy season starts from June and lasts until the end of the year. During the dry season, the city also experiences spells of rain which can last about five minutes. The town’s average temperature is around 30 degrees Celsius.
This page was last modified on May 1st, 2018