The flag of Sao Tome and Principe consists of a red triangle on the left-hand side intersecting three horizontal bands of green, yellow, and green (top to bottom). The yellow band contains two five-pointed stars that are black in color. These colors, when combined, are widely known as Pan-African. The flag was officially adopted on 5 November 1975 after independence from Portugal was granted. The country had previously been a colony of the Portuguese Empire from 1470-1975.
This flag carries cultural and political meanings, as well as reflecting the natural environment of the country. The yellow band is a symbol of the sun as well as cocoa (a key crop) while the green is representative of the agriculture and vegetation of Sao Tome and Principe. The red triangle, similar to many other countries in the region, is symbolic of the struggle for independence and the two black stars illustrate the two islands of the country. The Constitution of the Democratic Republic of Sao Tome and Principe, approved in 1990, states the correct dimensions and specifications of the flag.
In 1960, the Movement for the Liberation of Sao Tome and Príncipe were established and their flag is almost identical to the current national flag. This group of individuals fought for independence against the ruling Portuguese empire and would eventually rule the country for 15 years. It is unknown who the original designer, or designers, of the flag were.
The flag of Portugal was used in the country from its discovery in 1470 until independence in 1975. This flag consists of one green and one red field with the red field taking up approximately two-thirds of the banner. In the centre of the intersection of the colored fields lies a version of the Portuguese coat of arms.
This page was last modified on May 1st, 2018